Today’s hospitality industry is more sustainable than ever. Hotels are becoming more energy efficient, housekeeping teams are using more earth-friendly cleaning products, and front desks are using less paper.
But regardless of whether or not you’re staying at an eco-friendly hotel, there are some things that you can do to ease your impact.
- Turn off the lights. Many of us do this at home, but seem to go on ‘vacation mode’ when we’re at a hotel. If you’re not in the room, there’s no need to leave the lights on!
- Decline housekeeping and new linens when they’re not needed. Staying for only 2 days? You may not need new linens and toiletries. Let housekeeping know that you can skip their services for a day or two.
- Adjust the temperature. Many hotels keep rooms very cool for their guests’ arrival. Adjust the thermostat so that you are comfortable, but are not using unnecessary energy. Additionally, close the window or curtains if that will help keep the room at a more comfortable temperature while you are gone during the day.
- Request email copies of receipts when possible.
- Recycle. If there’s no designated recycling bin in the room, use one trash can for recyclables to make it easier for housekeeping to separate them.