Do you want to make your event more green but not sure how? Check out these great tips from UCLA Sustainability on how to make your meeting or event more sustainable:
- Go paperless for invitations by using e-mail or internet (e.g. Evite).
- Decorate naturally with plants, local flowers, or edible centerpieces.
- Instead of paper table cloths, either go without or use cloth.
- Use compostable or reusable plates, utensils, and/or cups.
- Order food and drinks in bulk rather than individually wrapped items. Less packaging means less goes to landfill.
- Order food from businesses located close to the office to minimize resources needed for transport.
- Order locally grown/produced food to minimize impact in terms of processing and transport to store, but look for hidden costs.
- Provide a water station with reusable mugs in lieu of individual bottles of water.
- Provide clearly labeled recycling bins for separation of waste: cans/bottles/plastics, compost (if available), landfill, etc.
- Clean items prior to recycling, if needed (e.g. oil-contaminated items cannot be recycled). Donate leftover food to a local charity.
UCLA Conferences and Catering is committed to going green. Talk with your Sales Manager on how you can make your event more sustainable.